Rodionova Ol'ga Sergeevna, Doctor of philological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of German and French languages, Saratov State Juridical Academy (1 Volskaya street, Saratov, Russia), email@example.com
Abramova Natal'ya Viktorovna, Candidate of pedagogical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of German and French languages, Saratov State Juridical Academy (1 Volskaya street, Saratov, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. This article is devoted to the research of the problem of code-switching in modern linguistics. The article deals with the main provisions of the theory of code-switching. Actuality is determined by the need to describe the mo¬dern processes of development of the German language in both traditional and new characteristics, characterized by the selection of the necessary vocabulary for communication with various interlingual contacts. The article highlights the most common combinations of code-switching, the functional and linguistic features of code-switching are discribed, different classifications of code-switching are analyzed
Materials and methods. The study relies on the basic provisions of the general development questions in modern linguistics, described in the works by such foreign scientists as Sh. Poplack, Jan-Petter Blom and J. Gumperz, Peter Auer and others.
In the course of the research the following methods were used: the component and contextual analysis, the comparative method, quantitative methods of material processing and interpretation methods.
Results. The study showed that the phenomenon of code-switching depends on various factors. The analysis of the linguistic material allows to conclude about
a combination of languages involved in code-switching, a purpose of code-switching in the communication process, language specificity, while also highlighting the types and classification of code-switching.
Conclusions. The study of the problems of code-switching is a prospective one. The ability to switch codes indicates a relatively high degree of language proficiency and communicative and general culture of a person. Mechanisms of code switching provide comfort in the communication process and understanding between people.
language specificity, function and types of code switching, language contact, German, communication.
1. Abramova N. V., Essina I. Yu. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya [Fundamental research]. 2014, no. 6, part2,pp.345–349.
2. Bussmann Hadumod (Hg.). Lexikon der Sprachwissenschaft [Linguistic vocabulary]. Stuttgart: Alfred Kröner Verlag, 2002, 783 p.
3. Myers-Scotton, C. Duelling Language. Grammatical Structure in Codeswitching. Oxford: Clarendon Press,1993.
4. Auer P. Bilingual Conversation Revisited. London/New York: Routledge, 1998.
5. Hoffman C. Introduction to Bilingualism. New York: Longman, 1991.
6. Blom J.-P., John J. Gumperz Directions in Sociolinguistics. The Ethnography of Communication. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., 1972, pp. 407–434.
7. Gumperz J. Discourse strategies. Cambridge: Cambridge University, 1982.
8. Appel R.,. Muysken P. Language contact and bilingualism. London; Baltimore, MD: Edward Arnold, 1987.
9. Banaz H. Bilingualismus und Code-switching bei der zweiten türkischen Generation
in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Sprachverhaltung und Identitätsentwicklung [Bilin¬gualism and code-switching in the second Turkish generation in Germany]. Universität GH Essen, 2002. Available at: http://www.linse.uniessen.de/esel/pdf/banaz_codeswitching.pdf.
10. Poplack S. Contrasting Codeswitching. Anthropological and Sociolinguistic Perspectives. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 1988, pp. 215–244.
11. Milroy L., Muysken P. One speaker, two language; cross-disciplinary perspectives on codeswitching. New York, 1995, 365 p.
12. Rodionova O. S. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2013, no. 3 (27), pp. 145–151.
13. Rodionova O. S. Sistema yazyka – opredelyayushchiy faktor prosodicheskoy delimitatsii zvuchashchego teksta (eksperimental'no-foneticheskoe issledovanie na materiale nemetskogo yazyka): dis. d-ra filol. nauk [Language system as a determining factor of prosodial delimitation of a spoken language (experimental phonetic research by the material of German language): dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of philological sciences]. Moscow, 2001.